May 5, 2010

May 5: Swinging Solo

I decided today would be a nice day to go swinging, so I headed to the park. It was a dampy day, and where I live people only go outside if it's sunny and at least 65 degrees. So I thought I'd for sure have run of the whole playground. I didn't want any strangers watching my novice swinging. But sure enough, when I got there, some darn kids were monopolizing the swings. I hoped if I hung out for a bit they would leave, especially since the weather was turning sour. A couple drops materialized from the sky, and soon they were heading for the car (wimps!). I identified the strongest, tallest looking swing and got to work. And w-o-w! So much fun! It's exhilirating to defy gravity with ease, and to see your feet in a place and position you don't normally see them.

Photographic reenactment

Several minutes into the swinging, it occurred to me that this particular piece of equipment was designed for a smaller audience, and a chain could break at any moment, sending me off into the clouds. I then rationalized that in the absence of a "No Adults Allowed" sign, and in the presence of all the fun I was having, I should keep going. When I finally had my fill a few minutes later, I dismounted and checked the bottom of the swing for any weight restrictions. There was some message about grave danger if more than one kid used the swing at a time, but I'm not a kid and I was solo swinging, so I should be fine, right?

The Verdict: Swinging is fuuuuun stuff. I'm going to do it more often, even if I have to risk life and limb in the process. There really should be more playgrounds for adults.

No comments:

Post a Comment